PDA

View Full Version : Firing the FL-50 remotely...?

theMusicMan
18th July 2010, 12:51 PM
Hi All

I have a few jobs and shoots coming up where I may need to use some off camera flash with brollies etc. Now, I appreciate the FL-50R will do this, but my flash is I'm afraid, missing the 'R' bit and so I am looking for another way to fire the flash when it's positioned on a stand some feet away from me and my E-3.

I have a cable which extends to about 5', but I am really after something with a little more reach and able to fire the FL-50 at around up to 20' away. OK, not many shots will require that 'reach', but you get the gist.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I could get/use for this based on your own experiences with them...? Thanks

EDIT: I should add, that I'd like to be able to keep the TTL and Auto functionality of the flash when mounted off camera - i.e. as if the flash was actually connected.

theMusicMan
18th July 2010, 01:02 PM
Oooh... been searching on the net, and stumbled on this;

http://www.diyphotography.net/the-strobist-corner-extending-your-ttl-flash-cord

I have a compatible Canon cord, so I might give this a go if nothing else is forthcoming.

Graham_of_Rainham
18th July 2010, 01:58 PM
I did this with a hotshoe (one that has a PC lead going to the centre pin) and a 10m extension lead. Everything is then manual of course, but I grew up with manual and tend to still work in that mode with flash anyway.

Or a simple slave flash unit and trigger it with the popup (turned right down)

All available on ebay for very few ús

theMusicMan
18th July 2010, 02:13 PM
Good idea Graham, but I am not experienced at all with manual flash - other than what I have used with my studio lighting kit. I may have some learning to do :)

Imageryone
18th July 2010, 07:03 PM
You can buy perfectly good slave flash units from most Charity shops for pennies and a remote that works from your pop-up from Jack-the-hat. I have 6 of these units, and with a little practice and some obscure plastic sheet, very easy to use.

Ian
19th July 2010, 02:13 PM
You can buy perfectly good slave flash units from most Charity shops for pennies and a remote that works from your pop-up from Jack-the-hat. I have 6 of these units, and with a little practice and some obscure plastic sheet, very easy to use.

I think this is the best way to go, but of course this will mean the flash will have to be set to manual.

But with a little experimentation all will be well :)

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
19th July 2010, 03:54 PM
I think this is the best way to go, but of course this will mean the flash will have to be set to manual.

But with a little experimentation all will be well :)

Ian

I just did a small "experiment" (to confirm my thoughts) :-

I set up an FL-50 set to AUTO (the gun is then measuring the light) about 1m from the subject, and took a picture from a fair way back using the popup set to 1/64 to trigger a "Seagull SYK-3 slave trigger" attached to the FL-50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Hot-Shoe-Flash-Remote-Slave-Trigger-SYK-3-/160452175962?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item255bb1e85a#ht_2690wt_802

You may want to consider the SYK-4 as it has a PC connector as well, providing greater flexibility of use.

Anyway it worked perfectly. *yes Simply set the FL-50 to whatever you want to shoot at (I shot at 125 - f22 as it was quite light in the room and I just wanted to test the exposure of the flash)

What's interesting for me is it also resurrected an idea I've had for shooting a model illuminated with flash set to a correct exposure with an underexposed moody background.

All good fun...:D

theMusicMan
19th July 2010, 04:00 PM
Oooh, now that certainly sounds interesting Graham. Thanks for the pointer there.

Imageryone
19th July 2010, 09:41 PM
Those are the remote units i meant too.