PDA

View Full Version : problem with bulb shutter

hihi2u2
5th July 2010, 10:17 PM
The bulb doesn't seems to respond to the shutter release, it seems like it doesn't goes faster then 1/15 or something like that, anyone else has the same problem ?

Another problem is the screen seems to be tinted, black and white is not true black and white, seems to be different to E520. Anyone has any clue ? ?

Wreckdiver
5th July 2010, 10:40 PM
With Bulb mode the shutter stays open for as long as you keep the shutter release pressed :confused:

Steve

bazza2764
6th July 2010, 06:01 AM
The bulb doesn't seems to respond to the shutter release, it seems like it doesn't goes faster then 1/15 or something like that, anyone else has the same problem ?

Another problem is the screen seems to be tinted, black and white is not true black and white, seems to be different to E520. Anyone has any clue ? ?

With the E420 when you press the shutter in "bulb" mode the shutter will stay open as long as you press the button,a good tip for this is to purchase a remote trigger so that you don't have to keep you finger on the shutter button. not sure about the other, do you mean when your on the info page? i have to say mine is slightly grey rather than full b/w but its not a problem. If you press the playback button to view the images you have taken on your camera i assume they are in full colour?

hihi2u2
6th July 2010, 03:14 PM
With Bulb mode the shutter stays open for as long as you keep the shutter release pressed :confused:

Steve

Of course bulb is for as long as you like, however the camera is not doing that, it does as long as you like as long as it is slower than 1/15.

So the camera bulb mode can't do anything faster than 1/15 (what I mean by 1/15 is by my hand releasing faster than 1/15).

Secondly I do understand that the info page is not in black and white, what I mean is that when I take a photo in Black and White (mono mode). When reviewing the photo on the camera it becomes slightly tinted like sepia instead of black and white. Before you say, have you make sure that you haven't set it on sepia or any other colour for the mono mode. The answer is no.

But it is just strange since the screen should be the same one of E520 but it comes out differently in terms of colour, even on the same settings?

hihi2u2
6th July 2010, 04:56 PM
My point is not that, in what circumstances I can use it, the point is that bulb should be running as fast as you release your shutter. I just tested in my E30, the fastest I can do my release shutter was 1/30 (you can check on the info). Anyways, 1/30 was not the point, I was just illustrating that it can't do fast shutter. The application for the manual shutter release at around 1/30 is I'm trying to get a feel in how fast shutter are and in what kind of situation I should use what speed. I recently got a tlr that have very limited shutter speeds and a bulb. So I thought I would train myself on my e420 before braving the tlr.

Anyway the point is that is there anyone else experiencing this problem or is it the norm that bulb doesn't do what it says on the tin... ... ?

The point is that I'm trying to diagnose my E420 and see if there anything wrong with it so I'll send it to be fixed. . . .. .

hihi2u2
6th July 2010, 11:36 PM
=How many times do I have to explain this ! !

The Shutter for the E420 goes up to 1/4000 sec, OF COURSE ITS FAST ENOUGH ! ! !

BULB = as fast as my finger can release the trigger !

Tested on E30, my finger can go as fast as 1/30 ! ! (checked on info from image)

BULB cannot go fast as 1/30 on E420, its always slower than 1/30 (checked on info from image).

Therefore, is there something wrong with my camera, its it a NORM for E420 ?

Anyone ?

snaarman
7th July 2010, 06:49 AM
This is a very odd way to use the bulb function, but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

Lets get one thing sorted here. This is not a fully mechanical leaf shutter where you push the lever to open it, let go and it closes. Job done.

In this case presumably the internal computer reads the shutter switch and then sequences a set of actions. This includes last minute metering, live view update (if its switched on) autofocus evaluation, then running the mirror lift motor and sequencing the shutter. It the settles down to reading the shutter button again. If you then release it, the shutter close sequence is cued and the mirror down motor is fired.

It's likey that the fastest part of this will be the shutter blinds, as they can be set off one after the other so the sensor sees 1/4000 second Woopee! However this doesn't mean you could take 4000 shots per second :(

If you want to get a feel for how little time the whole picture taking process can be trimmed to, check the burst fire rate. My E620 can do 4 frames per second, so even with the shutter set to 1/4000th, it still takes 1/4 second for my camera to do the whole shebang ..

I wonder if this helps??

Pete

hihi2u2
7th July 2010, 09:02 AM
yea thanks ^^,

I was trying to guess the exposure using my finger, but hey ^^. It just seems odd that my previous E500, D80 and E30 can do it and my e420 can't thats all. Thanks anyways ^^

Ian
7th July 2010, 10:01 AM
Just to weigh in here - there is nothing wrong with your camera. Bulb mode is not designed for use at fractions of a second like that; it's for long time exposures, so to be perfectly frank and no disrespect intended, trying to get relatively fast shutter speeds using bulb is a pointless exercise and I think you are getting worried over nothing.

Ian