PDA

View Full Version : New Restrictions on Batteries when travelling to the US or flying within it

shenstone
25th February 2008, 06:09 PM
Re the new regulations that came into force recently in the US - I've just become aware and have not been able to determine the amount of lithium in the BLM-1 batteries. Does anyone have the spec of the amount of lithium in a BLM-1 ?

To all ... If you are not aware of these new regulations and are planning travel to the US then I suggest you take a look so you don't end up having batteries confiscated. I've met with US customs in this mood when they took exception to the Carabiners I had clipped some bags together with and confiscated them ( That cost me 12 !!! :mad:). Losing original BLM-1's would be loads more annoying :mad::mad::mad:

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

Ian .. Hint to Olympus this would be a useful piece of information re all their batteries so we can all be sure we're in the right category ;)

Regards
Andy

DerekW
25th February 2008, 06:20 PM
Lots of discussion here
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20184&highlight=US+Battery+regulations

shenstone
25th February 2008, 07:17 PM
Lots of discussion here
http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20184&highlight=US+Battery+regulations

Thanks Derek

I read the thread, but like I saw elsewhere .. lots of discussion, but not too many posts with hard facts. What I'd like to be able to do is download a certificate from the Olympus website stating how much there is in them and therefore I have something to wave in front of the US security types who as I suggested in my last posting are not too good on understanding what is and is not dangerous !

Regards
Andy

seph72
25th February 2008, 07:49 PM
Shenstone

Having looked at the site, it seems to me that the new regulations only affect the BLM1 type batteries regarding the fact that they must be in the carry-on baggage, and NOT in the checked-in baggage.

The limitations on numbers of 'spare' batteries seem to only apply to the larger lithium-ion batteries - such as laptop batteries that may be in excess of 100 Watt-hours capacity.

The BLM-1 is 7.2 volts, with 1500 mAh capacity - that is 1.5 ampere-hours.

From my memory of electrical formulae, Watts = amps x volts - in this case 7.2v x 1.5amps = 10.8 ampere hours, which is a long way below the limit.

They are concerned that 'spare' batteries should be protected against possible short-circuits, and physical damage (crushing), which is understandable.

Hope this is of some help

seph72

theMusicMan
25th February 2008, 07:56 PM
US customs are very often quite funny. I remember a few years ago I had a slight run in with them when Jen I and the kids were en route back home from Calgary via Pittsburg.

We flew out of Calgary to Pittsburg, and when you go through customs in Calgary, if you are flying to the US, you actually go through US customs. When in Canada, my wife purchased some lovely plants in a gorgeous vase, and the shopkeeper offered to wrap them in clear gift-like cellophane so we could take them on the plane and so that they wouldn't get damaged. We accepted and they looked wonderful... we proceeded through US customs in Calgary.

Within a few moments, some big burly official came up to us and asked us if we could step into an ante room. We then became quite alarmed.

The customs official became very officious, and asked us what was in the cellophane wrapping. We answered... "plants in a vase, you can see through, it's cellophane!!. Have a look".

In an even sterner voice, he then replied... "Sir, Madam - do you realise this is a very serious matter, the plants you have in there contain a dangerous substance... they are Poppies and contain opium. Can you confirm they are yours and belong to you, and that you intended to take them through US customs...?"

I said... "Yes, sure. they are indeed ours, we purchased them in Calgary and are for our home, and we intended to take them through US customs"

He said... "Then I must caution you sir, as you have freely and willingly admitted to bringing a restricted substance through US Customs..."

I said... "but Officer.... they are not real, they are imitation plants; they are plastic... see... look... feel....!!"

He did. He paused. He realised. He said... "Thanks very much sir, madam, please resume your place in the queue"

:):)

true!!:D wallies

DerekW
25th February 2008, 08:28 PM
There are customs and there are the TSA (Transportation Security Agency) folk.
http://www.tsa.gov/

TSA check you before you get on the plane, customs check you after you arrive in the country that you are not bringing in items that will harm the economy or US citizens.

shenstone
25th February 2008, 08:28 PM
Hmm ..

I wish that had been the result with me - it went more like

"Sir (snarled more like Cur!) ... Stand still...

"Sorry officer what is the problem"

"Sir .. you are trying to carry an offensive weapon onto an aircraft"

"What....!?"

"Sir .. That is a knucleduster..!"

"What.... No it's a Carabiner... You don't understand that's a piece of safety equipment that is used caving or climbing.. it's just clipping my bags together to make them easier to carry"

"Sir .. If you disagree with my assessment you will be physically searched (which I was externally only thank god!) and banned from getting onto the aircraft ..!"

I co-operated AS MUCH AS I COULD - they would't let me put them in the post or anything - I was an offender in their eyes and they had all the power - reason did not come into it - So it cost me 2 Carabiners

Moral of the story as far as I am concerned is don't rely on anything other than manufacturers statements and make sure your packing is done VERY carefully. Give youself every chance of being on the right side of any arguments.

Regards
Andy

seph72
26th February 2008, 09:31 PM
Shenstone

Oops, sorry - a 'senior' moment :(

"7.2v x 1.5amps = 10.8 ampere hours" should have read "7.2v x 1.5amps = 10.8 Watt hours"

seph

Jim Ford
27th February 2008, 03:39 PM
Hmm ..

I wish that had been the result with me - it went more like

"Sir (snarled more like Cur!) ... Stand still...

"Sorry officer what is the problem"

"Sir .. you are trying to carry an offensive weapon onto an aircraft"

"What....!?"

"Sir .. That is a knucleduster..!"

<snip>

I've no intention of ever going to the U.S., but I like to think that in a situation like you met, I'd have the nerve to say:

'If this country is populated by idiots like you, then I don't think I want to enter it!' - and turn around and get homeward bound plane.

Jim

E-P1 fan
28th February 2008, 08:54 AM
OOh that's a bit hard on the US Jim ;)

I've met some lovely intelligent and charming Americans.

Re the airport guy - there are very similar jobsworths and morons here in UK. I wouldn't want all Britons to be judged by one encounter with a thick copper or an out of control youth.

Jim Ford
28th February 2008, 10:57 AM
OOh that's a bit hard on the US Jim ;)
I've met some lovely intelligent and charming Americans.

So have I, but you have to admit it would be pretty cool to say 'Stuff you - and your country!', and haughtily turn on your heels and go back home!
;^)

Jim

E-P1 fan
28th February 2008, 12:22 PM
Your'e a man after my own heart Jim :D

Ian
28th February 2008, 01:32 PM
So have I, but you have to admit it would be pretty cool to say 'Stuff you - and your country!', and haughtily turn on your heels and go back home!
;^)

Jim

Come on guys, this isn't called for here. Please keep things civil and respectful to those from other countries.

Thank you,

Ian