PDA

View Full Version : FL36 and CRV3 batteries

Welshlansdcaper
5th July 2010, 02:11 PM
According to the FL-36 manual I can use a CRV3 Battery in the flash. But it doesn't work. Anybody had this problem before?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Scouser200
6th July 2010, 09:17 PM
I use CRV3's in my FL36, no problems at all and the design only allows one way fitting.

Are the terminals inside the flash "flattened"?

Welshlansdcaper
7th July 2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks for that. I will check it out

Mike

*yes

steverh
7th July 2010, 09:44 AM
My FL36 has a habit of flattening batteries even when apparently switched off. I would suggest always removing them when not in use.

Is it possible that yours flattened the CRV3?

Welshlansdcaper
7th July 2010, 11:38 AM
I don't know. I bought a charger and two CRV3's off Ebay, charged 'em up and ..... nothing. Put two AA's in and working fine

Beats me

steverh
7th July 2010, 12:33 PM
I use flash rarely - and just pop in a couple of decent alkaline AA's.

I never managed to make my one and only CRV3 work (it was a non-rechargeable one).

Chrisspencer
23rd December 2011, 12:43 PM
I have just had a similar problem... the CR-3v seems to have issues when used with flash.

Battery is charged ( tested with multimeter) i just wont power flash... looks like a contact issue to me...

did you get it resolved?

Wally
23rd December 2011, 03:56 PM
I've used CRV-3 batteries in the FL50 without problems and found them far superior to the AA types. Longer duration and faster charge rates. You might have a duff set or, this may sound silly... but did you fit them correctly?

Chrisspencer
23rd December 2011, 04:51 PM
yeah...only fit one way in FL-36.
might try a different "branded" make...

TRIPLEPOT
24th December 2011, 12:11 AM
I have just had a similar problem... the CR-3v seems to have issues when used with flash.

Battery is charged ( tested with multimeter) i just wont power flash... looks like a contact issue to me...

did you get it resolved?

Don't know if it's related but I sometimes find my FL-36 appears to be dead with lithium Ever Ready batteries I use. Indeed I was convinced it had broke, not always switching on (not helped by the "fiddly" recessed on off switch) despite fresh batteries. Anyway messing around with it I found the battery contacts in the flash needed bending up and "hey presto" it burst back to life again. Over time they seem to loose contact again so I just gently bend them up again to restore power. Very strange as the batteries always feel a tight fit when you slide the door shut:mad:

ZACOUST
7th January 2012, 07:40 PM
Hello
I'am here you know what :-) ; My CRV3 doesn't work with my FL36. I check the voltage on the battery ; 4.2V !!
I guess the FL36 checks the voltage and make somes limits.
With 2 standards batteries :around 3.2 V
With Ni-CD or Ni_Mh : around 2.8V

So 4.2V is 1volt above the standard batteries.

Ross the fiddler
7th January 2012, 11:00 PM
Does the CRV3 battery have a a recess for the terminals that might be preventing a proper contact as cheap brands might be have too much recess for the flash terminal contacts? The plastic surrounding the terminals (on the battery) might also have a slight rough edge that could do with a little bit of trimming (if they are a cheap quality). This might be overcome a little when more spring tension is applied to the flash terminals & if this is the case, then the battery should be corrected (or replaced with a better brand).

That's my theory, but not seeing the battery (excepted in photos on ebay), I maybe barking up the wrong tree.

I hope that helps.

gphemy
18th February 2012, 11:15 PM
Confusion abounds in this thread, for CRV3 is not a rechargeable battery, and when the manual refers to it, that means a disposable primary lithium battery. Confusingly there is an identically sized rechargeable RCRV3 which is not compatible with the FL flashes. I may be wrong, but I think the FL50 manual is explicit on this.

Piers

ZACOUST
24th February 2012, 09:23 PM
I went into deep focus on that topic.

First of all , CR3V is discribed in the following document ANSI C18.3 part 1.
The CR3V is porposed into 2 references :
- Lithium as ANSI 5047 LC
- Lithium Ion as ANSI 5047 LF (Rechargeable).
The ANSI doc specifies 3.7 V Max for the 2 batteries.

On my FL36 , An rechargeable CRV3 (Voltage 4,11V alone) has to high voltage (FL36 not working). I've lower a bit the voltage to 3.78V and the battery starts the Flash.

We have to know that during the charge process of the flash (before the light went orange) , the battery voltage is about 2.5V then it tooks about 1 minute to reach the max voltage (here 3.7V).

Conclusion ; it's an electrical purpose. Olympus claims it works with its own batteries.

To lower the voltage , I've put the battery on the charger socket , it may have a leakage current between the 2 poles that drop the voltage for about 0.3V (and put some pieces of wire to connect the flash and my multimeter).

I've ordre battery from DURACELL WITH A 3V specification. Waiting for them

gphemy
24th February 2012, 10:29 PM
First of all , CR3V is discribed in the following document ANSI C18.3 part 1.
The CR3V is porposed into 2 references :
- Lithium as ANSI 5047 LC
- Lithium Ion as ANSI 5047 LF (Rechargeable).
The ANSI doc specifies 3.7 V Max for the 2 batteries.

Not quite correct. ANSI 5047LF is a Lithium IRON cell, NOT Lithium Ion, there is a very significant difference! Lithium Iron cells are not rechargeable (nor are 5047 LC, Lithium Manganese Dioxide). Further the ANSI specification gives for both batteries a nominal voltage of 3.0V, and a maximum *off-load* voltage of 3.7V.

The difference in use between primary and rechargaeble batteries is not just a question of voltage - the different internal resistance of the varying battery types means that they can deliver very different amperages, with (possibly) very undesirable results.

If you have ordered cells with nominal voltage of 3.0, you will be fine - but do not try to recharge them when they are dead, because they are not rechargeable!

Piers

ZACOUST
25th February 2012, 08:50 AM
So what is the reference document for rechargeable CR3V ? (if it exits !) .
Perhaps there a misunderstood here about a "standard" upon this cell.

On my battery I've found an "CE" label , so I've asked the salor "the declaration of conformity". The reference document have to written on it (but it comes from China...).

ZACOUST
26th February 2012, 10:13 PM
I've made some extra measurements. With no load my RCRV3 is about 4.11V (open air). With an resistor of 33KOhms between the two poles , the voltage goes down 3.7V. That's enough to start the FL36 Flash. This is a current of 0.11mA. So the resistor could stay in place on the battery (remember the capacity is about 1300mA.h). The internal behavior of the battey is linear above and below 3,7V (low above and high below) but not continuous arond 3,7V
Remember as said upper , an Li_ion battery delivers about 3,7V
There is enough place inside the flash to locate an 1/4W resistor. I will provide you later a schematic with two thin copper washers to stabilize that.