PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Aperture setting/reading disappearing?!?

debsylee
1st July 2010, 01:13 PM
I've had a couple of instances on my E500 when the aperture reading has disappeared ... all I get is '-.-' in the box where it should be (on any manual or auto modes). When I select it to try and change it nothing happens .. it just stays as -.-

Please can anyone shed any light as to why this might be happening?

E-3
1st July 2010, 01:23 PM
I've had a couple of instances on my E500 when the aperture reading has disappeared ... all I get is '-.-' in the box where it should be (on any manual or auto modes). When I select it to try and change it nothing happens .. it just stays as -.-

Please can anyone shed any light as to why this might be happening?

Clean the contacts on the lens & body, then put the lens back on & hopefully it will work fine :)

StephenL
1st July 2010, 01:39 PM
Yes, it sounds like the body is not reading the information given by the lens. Have you tried any other lenses or just the one?

debsylee
1st July 2010, 02:08 PM
Thank you! I have cleaned the contacts on both the lens and the camera and it now seems fine.

It's happened with a couple of different lenses so I suspect it was the camera body.

Many thanks again :)

snaarman
1st July 2010, 03:10 PM
I have seen this (and worse) sometimes if for some reason the lens lock button doesn't spring out properly when the lens is mounted. This tends to happen more with legacy lenses and iffy home made mounts, but worth mentioning...

Pete

Ross the fiddler
2nd July 2010, 09:52 AM
I have seen this (and worse) sometimes if for some reason the lens lock button doesn't spring out properly when the lens is mounted. This tends to happen more with legacy lenses and iffy home made mounts, but worth mentioning...

Pete

That's right. I had it happening when I started using the 14-54 II lens (or could have been the 70-300) on the E30 (after having used it on my E520) & there was obviously not a contact issue, but a bumping of the release button when holding the zoom ring (possibly wasn't used to the balance of the E30 compared to the E520) & it wasn't returning properly. A twist of the lens allowed it to return. Now I know what it is, it doesn't happen now.

Ross