PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?

E-P1 fan
27th June 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm very attracted by the E-PL1. I'd really appreciate some user opinions from lucky owners on the forum. I'd want a body only and would want to use my existing 4/3rds lenses so would need the adapter.

Any hidden pitfalls? I'd rather read a user review than a paid review or advertising brochure.

Thanks

Andrew Riddell
27th June 2010, 08:48 PM
I have the E-P2, and I think you'd probably benefit from having the VF-2 to use with standard FT lenses. It's an extra for the E-PL1, but you might like to check prices for the E-P2 with it, and the differences between the two bodies might well be worthwhile for you.

Andrew

Nick Temple-Fry
28th June 2010, 12:08 AM
I'm very attracted by the E-PL1. I'd really appreciate some user opinions from lucky owners on the forum. I'd want a body only and would want to use my existing 4/3rds lenses so would need the adapter.

Any hidden pitfalls? I'd rather read a user review than a paid review or advertising brochure.

Thanks

Hidden pitfalls - well the price, it still isn't cheap.

I too would recommend the vf-2, though the screen is quite good there are still some limitations on a bright day and I generally prefer an eye level viewfinder. This may well be influenced by the fact I am a glasses wearer.

Personally I don't have an issue with the lack of control wheels, it's easy enough to use the buttons, though perhaps marginally slower. But your thumb soon gets used to finding the buttons.

It really depends on what sort of photography you want to do with it, I'd hesitate to recomend it for action photography.

There are some good threads on the E-PL1 on FTU, Robert Watcher has posted some interesting stuff.

There are quite a lot of options to customise button use, easy enough to adapt the camera to your preferences.

Not really much help

Nick

Dogcow
28th June 2010, 05:22 AM
I had the same quest (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9517) a few weeks ago, and was able get all the Pen camera's side by side in my hands. And based on the handling of the camera I decided not to go with the E-PL1.
The E-P2 was over my budget, although I did like the VF-2 very much, so I settled with the E-P1. As a bonus the E-P1 was in a clearance sale with my regular camera dealer, so 'resistance was futile' and I bought one.

After all I am very pleased with the results of this camera. I think the quality of the shots (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9839) is on par with my E-3 and the MMF-1 adapter works quite well (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10035).

And although I had to get used to looking at the rear LCD and not trough a viewfinder, I am beginning to like this camera very much.

The Saint
28th June 2010, 12:26 PM
Well I've had my E-PL1 since March now and I absolutely love it!

It really depends what you are looking for in a camera as to whether it will suit your needs. Personally I was finding the E3 too big for everyday use and wanted a pocket camera with the quality of the E3, which the E-PL1 definately satisfies.

The E-PL1 is not suited to action photography in the same way as an SLR, this is not to say you can't capture action, but it's not quite as easy.

Not having a wheel is a little troublesome to start with, but think how often you need to change settings and when a few milliseconds longer will make a difference (outside action photography probably not a major issue).

I've recently purchased a VF-2, as in bright sunlight the LCD screen does wash out, but would I have bought a P-2 if I had know that first? No, as the onboard flash which also acts as the RC for the FL36R/50R is a big advantage for me and price wish it's probably not cost me more.

I see your looking for a body only and will use your existing ZD lenses. I have found the ZD with the adaptor to be quite a bit slower to get focus lock, which is not a problem for landscapes and portiates, but again not so good for action. Considering that when you buy a lens with the body you get it at a reduced cost it might be worth considering, depending on your specific needs.

Simon

E-P1 fan
29th June 2010, 03:04 PM
Thank you for your posts - they are much appreciated.

I love my E-1 but have in reality found that my G9 has become my camera of choice for most outdoor situations - except action shots. The loss in image quality (for most shots anyway) is liveable with and the convenience of the G9 tends to usually win over the lovely, but bulky, E-1.

As a PEN owner/lover of old - I'm sold on anything PEN before even looking at it so when I hear it might be possible to keep my E-1 for 'studio' and sports shots and use a PEN with my 4/3rds lenses for ultra convenience, ease of carrying etc - and also get better image quality than the G9 (which I would also keep btw) - I'm more than interested.

Can anyone link me to a comparative review of the 3 PENs - if such exists?
Alternatively any particularly good reviews (as judged by owners) would be valued.

<clickclick>

blu-by-u
3rd July 2010, 04:36 AM
I finally got that E-PL1. Over here they package the E-PL1 with the 14-42, MMF-2 and the 40-150. (The later is a 4/3 lens) I find the high ISO images looks better than the E-30. But if you are in action low lights, this is not the camera for you. The current lenses are not really that bright unless you couple it with the 4/3 lenses but then it's like really huge lens on a "missing" body.

So far it's been fun playing with it. No serious stuff yet.

Oh yes, Why the E-PL1..it's the newest and the cheapest of the lot, 2 extra Art Filters. the best of all, the built in flash and wireless flash support. I think if you can wait, they may add the IR (RM1 and RM2) support in the next addition.

E-P1 fan
12th July 2010, 12:54 PM
So generally all pretty favourable. *chr

Any Oly dslr owners also have a PEN - and does it take over as weapon of first choice in many situations?

photo_owl
12th July 2010, 02:01 PM
So generally all pretty favourable. *chr

Any Oly dslr owners also have a PEN - and does it take over as weapon of first choice in many situations?

I've been using an E-P1 for a couple of weeks and find the following -

1. video is a new, pleasing, element that enables me to capture some elements of trips etc that I wouldn't otherwise. The control etc makes this fun -as does using a 500mm mirror lens or 50-200 *chr

2. whilst the 14-42 is nearly as good as the 4/3 14-42 I quickly missed the capabilities of the 12-60 (and filters) - last weekend the E-P1 got the 12-60 on it instead and was excellent (but I started to wonder why I wasn't using the E30...

3. IQ is excellent, as is the jpg engine

4. they all (E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1) scream out for a tilt swivel screen....... whilst the silver/silver E-P1 got a lot of looks in Italy I would have had a 620 with me from preference for shooting flexibility, even with the 14-42 43 lens).

5. there are qwerks to the controls on each model so far - the secondary tilt rocker dial on the E-P1 gets knocked all the time with me, in a way that the similarly positioned one on the 510 etc never did.

Overall, they are a great way to use a load of 43 and legacy glass in appropriate situations, as well as providing great IQ from a small package.

yorky
12th July 2010, 02:20 PM
I am impressed with the E P 1 and have started to use it for taking on a walk etc. I find in close ups its very good but miss having the viewfinder for some of the slower shutter speeds to help steady it. I have amazed at the results in general. I normally use an E3 but at times find the clarity betterwith the ep 1.I got the convertor and find with the 9-18 and the 35 macro excellent. the longer lenses 12-60 70-300 take a lot out of the battery and are better in manual. On the basis of what I have found with it I would like the ep 2 with the viewfinder. It will certainly make buying any other upgrade to the E3 a very difficult decision. Its joy to take out and use.

Nick Temple-Fry
12th July 2010, 03:24 PM
Well for walk about I can put the E-PL1, 14-42, mmf-2, 40-150, vf-2, Peleng 8mm fe in a small National Geographic midi bag and still have room for batteries/cards etc. And I don't notice it. Another relatively small lens case or bag on the other shoulder if I want to carry a larger tele.

It is a light and flexible combo, But it's best for portraiture/still/landscape. So the decider is whether I am out to take nature/animal/insect shots (or church shots because of the bracketting) in which case it's the E-3, or more general snapping then its the E-PL1.

But for 'day-out' the E-PL1 has the advantage.

Nick

E-P1 fan
31st July 2010, 10:26 PM
Money being a big factor I'm attracted to the EP1 with an MMF-1 adapter. I've never ever spent a lot on cameras (hence the attraction on the E1) so 339 for the EP1 and around 100 for the adapter hovers at my acceptable spend level. I can get that past SWMBO but doubt if she'd wear the EP-1L

Can anyone give me any real reasons why I shouldn't go for the EP-1?

Nick Temple-Fry
1st August 2010, 12:09 AM
Well you can't at a later date add the vf-2, the e-p1 does not have the accessory port. So you are limited to using the screen on the back or perhaps the vf-1 which will not show the correct fov.

Nick

E-P1 fan
1st August 2010, 08:21 AM
Why is nothing ever straight-forward with Olympus! *help

--------------------------------------------------------

Just reading more reviews and feeling more and more that the EP-1 might be the micro 4/3rds version of my beloved E1 -

Fantastic build quality - great image quality - but quirky design and significant market-hungry ommissions: VF-2, flash inbuilt etc
A great camera - possibly over-engineered but beautiful to use - but essentially an 'odd' camera. Build quality seems better than
the EP1-L

Are these assumptions fair?

Another thing - I do hate the way Olympus airbrush out earlier models. They did it with the E-1 and I see they are doing exactly the same with the EP-1
The 2010 PEN brochure is EP1-L and EP2 only.........deja vu
(I thought the Japanese culture valued age and ancestors?)

E-P1 fan
1st August 2010, 04:01 PM
OK here's another take on this....................

EP1 with 14/42 versus the EPL-1 body only and MMF1 (plus my 4/3rds lenses)

Does anyone have a pic of a PEN with the MMF-1 and a 4/3rds lens attached?

cheers

yorky
1st August 2010, 06:06 PM
As the owner of an EP1 plus the adaptor I have to say it is getting used more and more. I find the 35 macro works very well with it some of the longer lenses tend to seek in auto focus mode. the picture quality is perhaps better than the E3. However, it is not as good in the contuos focus mode with the 14-42 lens, and is rather slower to operate which does not favour shooting moving objects very well . I think the EP 2 with the viewfinder is a much more complete system. But for normal use of static subjects I find it superb.

E-P1 fan
1st August 2010, 06:42 PM
Have you tried it with any OM lenses?

Another factor for me is design - I prefer the design of the EP1 to the EPL1. Like the E1 the build quality seems fantastic. I fail to see why Oly are not really proud of both cameras

Rod Souter
1st August 2010, 07:27 PM
Not with the MMF-1 but with the Panasonic version

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/25_pancake_800x600.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25966)

to the ridiculous

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/35-100_800x600.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/25967)

HTH

Rod

E-P1 fan
1st August 2010, 11:15 PM
Cheers Rod - it's a whole new way of thinking this Pen world :)

is the Panasonic adapter cheaper than the MMF-1? *chr

E-P1 fan
2nd August 2010, 12:29 PM
I'm starting to wonder if the EP-1 really will go the way of the E-1 and start to drop in price quite dramatically. I bought my E-1 for a song - might the same fate await the EP-1? That would make my decision for me. I could live with the downsides if the upside financially was as attractive as my E1. Plus I do really like the design of the EP-1 more than the others. Hmmn.

And if it doesn't and they disappear into history - there will always be the EPL-1 (for a while at least) and the next traunche of PENs which will be coming from Mount Olympus

What do you think folks?

yorky
2nd August 2010, 02:24 PM
I believe the price is already starting to drop quiote dramaticly keep an eye on camera box, they are one of the first to start cutting.

E-P1 fan
2nd August 2010, 06:05 PM
Actually Amazon are much cheaper than Camera Box. Camera Box price on the EP-1 is 399.99 but Amazons's is 322.99! That's for the camera with 14/42

E-P1 fan
2nd August 2010, 06:53 PM
Sorry to keep firing questions at you - can someone tell me how the VF-1 viewfinder works? Is it linked to the lens so alters as you zoom or change lenses?

Nick Temple-Fry
2nd August 2010, 06:58 PM
Sorry to keep firing questions at you - can someone tell me how the VF-1 viewfinder works? Is it linked to the lens so alters as you zoom or change lenses?

It is just a lens specifically for use with the 17mm fixed focal length pancake - it doesn't do anything clever at all.

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/21693_pen-camera_vf-1_21795.htm

Nick

StephenL
2nd August 2010, 07:28 PM
I have both an E-P2 and an E-30. I now find that, although the E-30 is great to use, I'm using the Pen more or less exclusively. Bought as a kit with the VF-2 finder, it's perfect for manual focussing - better, much better, than the E-30 and superb with legacy lenses. I find that using manual focus again after all these years of autofocus, dictated 'cos my eyes find focussing a DSLR difficult, has actualy made me consider my shots more rather than just point-and-shoot.

E-P1 fan
2nd August 2010, 07:29 PM
So useless for anything else - or any other lens :(

I'm questioning the need for a viewfinder at all - after a while owning a Canon G9 I'm very used to using the LCD screen

Nick Temple-Fry
3rd August 2010, 09:16 AM
So useless for anything else - or any other lens :(

I'm questioning the need for a viewfinder at all - after a while owning a Canon G9 I'm very used to using the LCD screen

Well no viewfinder would be a challenge for me, purely because of difficulties in seeing the screen (I'm a glasses wearer), I'd also wonder about balance with legacy lenses when using the screen, but maybe technique would overcome that. But if you've got good experience using a screen, then maybe it's time to stop worrying, by all accounts the e-p1 is a good camera.

(but if Photokina brings out a new Pen for Christmas, maybe the e-p2 will start to move down in price).

Maybe it's time to just do it:D

Nick

yorky
3rd August 2010, 10:54 AM
The electronic viewfinder sits in the accesary shoe and plugs in to a slotr below the shoe. so far as I know, it works with any lens thats on the camera. I have seen it with the 14-42 and found it to be clear and sharp. i used to have A nikon which was a fixed lens with an electron viewfinder and the Olympus knocks the hell out that. I found it superb.

StephenL
3rd August 2010, 11:08 AM
This VF-2 only works with the E-P2 and E-PL1, not the E-P1. I agree wholeheartedly, it's superb!

The electronic viewfinder sits in the accesary shoe and plugs in to a slotr below the shoe. so far as I know, it works with any lens thats on the camera. I have seen it with the 14-42 and found it to be clear and sharp. i used to have A nikon which was a fixed lens with an electron viewfinder and the Olympus knocks the hell out that. I found it superb.

yorky
3rd August 2010, 11:16 AM
I just looked at he Amazon site, they offer a 1-3 months delivery time. I would imagine by that time the price would have altered significantly. But I would love one, just need to sell the EP 1. Ah well dream on?

E-P1 fan
3rd August 2010, 01:18 PM
I just need to sell the EP 1.

You serious :eek: - I might be interested.

How do OM primes perform on Pens? Presumably all manual focus only?
Any other drawbacks?

yorky
3rd August 2010, 03:59 PM
I don't have any of the older lenses but a friend on flikr use's an Ep1 and gets wondrful results with it using differant lenses
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roosjeh/3904364531/in/set-72157622347124699/

StephenL
3rd August 2010, 05:29 PM
I use an OM Zuiko 50mm, and a Tamron SP90 which both sit well on the E-P2. Yes, they are purely manual focus, but the VF2 is perfect for this purpose. And even stopped down to the correct taking aperture, the gain of the electronic viewfinder makes focussing easy. Ergonomically they are fine also. I'm looking round for an OM Zuiko 24mm or 28mm as well.

E-P1 fan
4th August 2010, 09:50 AM
Remember that old saying - "strike while the iron's hot"

The 339 EP-1 on Amazon just went up overnight to over 370! (new supplies I guess). To me that means that something that was 'just over' 300 is now 'just under' 400! :(

I dug out my OM 50mm & 135mm primes and I think they would look fantastic on an EP-1. Is it just me? I think the EP-1 looks like the Pen F and the EPL-1 looks like a clone of my Canon G9 *zzz

yorky
4th August 2010, 12:13 PM
If u want to make me a reasonable offer for the ep 1 with 14-42 lens send me a pm

E-P1 fan
4th August 2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks - PM sent

E-P1 fan
7th August 2010, 08:07 PM
And the end of the saga is - I'm now the proud owner of a nice EP-1 courtesy of Yorky.

I'm gradually getting my head round it's idiosyncracies and am loving it. *chr

Time to move to the Ep-1 forum methinks

The Saint
7th August 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It takes a while to get use to it, but it's very customisable.

I've ended up with a second E-PL1 today! The missus kept stealling mine and I wanted the 14-150mm and she pointed out that for only an Extra 175 I could treat her to a nice red E-PL1 and she would share my lenses!

Simon

E-P1 fan
7th August 2010, 10:02 PM
Smart lady - hats off to her *yes

Nick Temple-Fry
7th August 2010, 11:13 PM
And the end of the saga is - I'm now the proud owner of a nice EP-1 courtesy of Yorky.

I'm gradually getting my head round it's idiosyncracies and am loving it. *chr

Time to move to the Ep-1 forum methinks

Glad you made the decision (at last:)) and look forward to some shots.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the camera.

When I wander about with the E-PL1 I get old boys coming up to me and saying 'that's a film camera isn't it', starts a lot more conversations than the E-3.

Nick

Nova Invicta
8th November 2010, 03:20 PM
Picked up an E-PL1 at Heathrow on my way to Bahamas as I knew with the addition of the MMF-2 I could use my 4/3rds lenses back home.

I must say Im very impressed with the picture quality from the camera but not over impressed with the 14-42mm micro 4/3rd zoom which distorts badly especially on ocean horizons. The camera was on special offer and I got an Olympus cash-back as well so price wise very happy.
The one feature both the other micro 4/3rds Olys have which this should have is the electronic leveller as I have had to adjust a few shots in post which I would have preferred not to do.
The size makes this a perfect lightweight grab & go camera and although not to the build quality of DSLRs or the other two sister cameras still at a very high level. Will definately add the electronic viewfinder (for level horizons and to see something in bright sun light) and the MMF-2.

Nick Temple-Fry
8th November 2010, 03:33 PM
The one feature both the other micro 4/3rds Olys have which this should have is the electronic leveller as I have had to adjust a few shots in post which I would have preferred not to do.

It doesn't have an electronic leveller - but you can tell it to superimpose a grid on the display, then just choose what feature of the view you want as a reference.

Nick

Alan Clogwyn
8th November 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm looking round for an OM Zuiko 24mm or 28mm as well.

Might I reccomend skipping the 28mm and concentrating on finding a good fast 24mm, I had the f2.8 versions of both, never used the 28mm as it never really had the right viewing angle for anything, the 24 is much more useful (ideal everyday angle) BUT the minimum focus on the Zuiko is a bit far away, if you can find a Vivitar f2.8 one then the minimum focus is a tiny 0.19m, doesn't sound like a lot but it does open up a lot of options - it will allow you to take better close ups than a zuiko 50mm. (not a macro one though obviously!)

Have a look round my gallery, most things in there are taken with one.

*chr

wahlau
24th November 2010, 09:40 AM
Hi guys,

i am also attracted to the PL1 recently, after seeing magnificent images and videos(!) captured by a friend. My question will be - will the arrival of the PL1 mean that i will perhaps "forget" more that i have a E-410? It is just a waste when a camera is no longer being utilized, while the 2nd hand value is not really worth to let go of such a fine camera...

thanks!

wahlau.

The Saint
24th November 2010, 10:05 AM
Wahlau

I have an E-3 and well as an E-PL1 and they have different roles. The E-PL1 is my everyday camera, with the 17mm pancake attached it's small enough that you don't know your carrying it around with you, so ideal for the spur of the moment photo opportunities.

The E-3 still has it's advantages, specially when it comes to action shot and weatherproof. I would not be happy taking the E-PL1 to a motorsport event as it would have trouble keeping up on the focusing, in my oppinion.

With the E-PL1 I would recommend getting the EVF as on a bright day the LCD screen does washout. Another reason you might want to keep using the E410 if you don't get the EVF.

I personally find the E-PL1 less comfortable to hold (due to it's small size and my big hand), therefore if I'm doing a lot of photography in one day I prefer to use the E-3 and the bigger 4/3 HG lens generally balance better on the E-xxx bodies (the E-PL1 with the Bigma is an interesting combination!)

It's a differicult call to say if your E-410 would be "left on the shelf". The E-PL1 is not perfect, although you should see a good leap in the quality of the images from the newer sensor and you may see advantages to use the E-410 for certain types of photography, similar to I've outlined above.

Personally I think the E-PL1 would be your primary camera, but for the secondhand sale price of the E-410 I would be inclined to keep it for the times when the E-PL1 is not quite up to the job (mainly when focus speed it key).

Simon

StephenL
24th November 2010, 10:11 AM
Simon speaks truth! I use my E-1, G2, and E-P2 for different occasions.

wahlau
24th November 2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Simon,

your opinion is exactly what i am thinking hard - if i have a E-520 oder a E-30 (or even the E-620) the choice of E-PL1 as a second camera is obvious. But as compared to the E-410, it seemed to be a direct "competitor" to my 2 years old trusty companion...

Will the E-410 plus good lens (say 14-54mm I, or a 9-18mm) still focus faster than an E-PL1? Then of course i will still use the E-410 more often that i can imagine now. The fear/concern comes from my own experience - since the arrival of the E-410, my 720sw basically just sits in the drawer except time when i want to take underwater photos... The E-410 with 14-54mm and 25mm pancake has been my choice of combo in difference occasions and places.

thanks!

The Saint
24th November 2010, 10:30 AM
Wahlau

I haven't got any data to back it up, but any DSLR should be quicker at focusing than a current PEN due to the different focus systems employed.

Overtime Olympus have suggested this difference will be reduced, but currently I would prefer to take your E-410 and 14-54 with me to a sports event over the EPL1.

One issue I didn't pick up on previously it the difference style/quality of using the EVF/LCD display on the PEN to the OVF on the E-410. This is something of personal preference, but I'm sure you have been able to come to a view on this by seeing/using your friends EPL1.

So the next question is, do you want an EPL1 now, or is you current system meeting your needs and can wait to see what Olympus come up with next on the PEN series! But predicting what the future holds is always difficult and new toys are always very tempting.

Simon

wahlau
24th November 2010, 10:35 AM
Hi Simon,

since i have my E-410, i have already got used to how to work around if the focus is slow :) unless the E-PL1 is unbearable slow (which i doubt), i should be able to live with it.

the sole purpose of (thinking to) having the E-PL1 is the video function, perhaps also the even smaller/slicker form factor. The E-410 is neat with the 25mm pancake, but it is still not pocket fitting small. So the real guy that has to go if the E-PL1 should join the family is the 720SW :)

but i think i will be only buying 1Q next year, especially when the next PEN is announced and available - my rule is - you don't have to always buy the latest and newest so that you can have a better price/value purchase.

thanks!

The Saint
24th November 2010, 11:03 AM
Wahlau

The focus on the EPL1 is fine, especially with the micro 4/3 lenses. Using standard 4/3 lenses only really works for static/slow moving subjects on the PEN as the focusing is very slow, so if you want to use HG or SHG lenses (as there is very limited HG/SHG micro 4/3 lenses available currently) for action your best route is still an E-xxx serie camera. Obviously there are work arounds as with everything (manaul focus!).

You say that the 720SW would get the "push", but there are still circumstances where a E-410 and PEN can't go but a 720SW can (eg. underwater), so will still have it's uses.

I'm with you that you don't need the latest of greatest equipment and half of being a good photographer is using the equipment you have an being clever in how you us it to capture your subject.

I'm not sure how much you have used your friends EPL1 for video (it's not something I generally use) but there are limitation on the EPL1's abilities (mono sound without the mic add on, the CAF doesn't appear wonderful (but that might be my technic), I also have trouble getting a smooth zoom due to the amount the barrel needs to be turned and finally I have to remember portraite orientation doesn't really work). The PEN was primarily designed as a camera with video being a secondary function. You might just want to bear that in mind if video is one of your primary needs.

Simon

wahlau
24th November 2010, 11:13 AM
Hi Simon,

a good point on the normal FT lens on E-PL1 focus speed... i was thinking it would be "fine" to do it. if performance wise not always good - then i must think twice, since i plan to use more FT lens then mFT ones even if i get the E-PL1.

For underwater purposes... i will go for casing if really needed, so both E-410 and E-PL1 have their rather expensive casings :) but you are right - pushing the 720sw away means forking out more money for the same purpose.

I am currently making video snapshots using a smartphone, hence the mono issue is not really a problem. I am not into real video taking but more like family snapshots/candid video stuffs... which i think E-PL1 will be a good candidate for that. Of course video will not be the primary purpose/use if i am going to get it - i like the size with quality photos plus video. What i meant was - the E-PL1 has the advantage of making videos if compared to what i already can achieve with my E-410, since i assume the photo quality of the E-PL1 should be close to my E-410.

regards,
wahlau.

The Saint
24th November 2010, 11:23 AM
Wahlau

I think you will be very surprise with the quality of the images from the EPL1. I found them to be significantly better than my E3, especially when you up the ISO.

If you have a friend who has a PEN it would definately be worthwhile trying the 4/3 lenses you want to use on it to see how the focusing performs. Like everything some peoples ideas of "slow" are different to others. So best to try before you buy if possible.

Simon

Kees
24th November 2010, 12:46 PM
I have used the E-p1 with adapter for a while with my 4/3 lenses (50mm, 50-200 SWD and 12-60 SWD), but found the combination so slow that it was practically useless in all situations except static scenes. The dedicated m4/3 lenses focus a lot faster on the PEN.

Nova Invicta
4th December 2010, 12:23 AM
I have the E-520 & E-500 and a selection of E series lenses plus the FL-36. I recently purchased the E-PL1 & the 4/3rds adaptor and only used this camera on holiday in the Bahamas and can honestly say was more than happy with the results. As others have said the LCD burns out in bright sun light and the adaptor with 4/3rds lenses is slow to focus but the dedicated micro 4/3rds lenses are faster.
I would not use the camera for sport or anything where you need to pan fast & shoot like aerial shots or cars but for portraits & landscapes its a very desirable addition to my collection.
So Olympus you STILL need to make 4/3rds DSLR cameras for consumers the E-PL1 is a more versitile compact camera NOT a DSLR replacement.

Nova Invicta
4th February 2011, 05:52 PM
To add to the post above the combination of the 4/3rd adaptor and a 40-150mm on the E-PL1 last night at the Usher concert was frankly awful whereas at Plymouth two weeks ago taking shots of ships it was fine.
In reality you really need m.4/3rds lenses for the Pen cameras.