PDA

View Full Version : written off by satnav

Ellie
25th February 2008, 01:10 AM
I saw this earlier today, and it made me smile.

written off by satnav (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23389219-details/%C2%A396,000%20Merc%20written%20off%20as%20satnav% 20leads%20woman%20astray/article.do?expand=true#StartComments)

Here's the beginning ...

"The driver, the latest of many to be led astray by satnavs, was on her way to a christening party in Leicestershire when she was sent down a winding track usually used only by farmers in their 4x4s.

Although the track is signposted as unsuitable for motor vehicles', the driver carried on and found herself at a ford in the village of Sheepy Magna.

Still accepting what the satnav told her, she set out to cross the ford, but it was swollen after days of heavy rain. ...... " :rolleyes:

Scapula Memory
25th February 2008, 03:30 AM
Oh dear..... apparently this is more and more common, and where I live I see this quite a bit. The road has a very low arched rail bridge at 11ft, and has been hit 6 times in 2 years by monster foreign trucks being guided by satnavs. The fact there are signs saying 11ft, and weight limit and that it is a small narrow lane does not seem to be enough :eek:

PeterD
25th February 2008, 05:15 AM
As I recall from the news a couple of days ago, this mindless belief that the SatNav is supreme caused an artic to get stuck for two days. The driver having ignored the warnings:(.

PeterD

flying haggis
25th February 2008, 05:45 PM
this was in the news some time ago, and i hope the insurance didnt pay up because of her stupidity(but i bet they did!)

yorky
25th February 2008, 06:01 PM
Having a sat nav seems to preclude common sense? I have one and love it to bits, however, when it try's to divert me down a muck road I tend to be very sceptical. With a private car sometimes I have carefully followed it but I thought guys with H.G.V.s were supposed to have brains?Maybe they need a machine to tell them when to use them. Having said all that-What the hells this to do with Olympus???

HughofBardfield
25th February 2008, 06:06 PM
Ouch! Something similar happened near here last time we had some floods. The ford concerned is unusual because it turns thru almost 90 degrees and runs along the river bed for a ways before turning back onto "dry land". Supposedly it's the longest ford in England or the UK or something. I found it by accident at night years before sat nav and have never entirely recovered from the experience... even tho' the stream bed was almost dry at the time. The recent incident included a 4x4, and I believe it eventually had to be towed out...

shenstone
25th February 2008, 06:15 PM
You do have to laugh at the approach that PeterD referred to as Mindless belief I went on a trip with some works colleagues and the driver was adamant that his sat nav was correct when I told him that we were going the wrong way .... 300 yards later it calmly told him " turn around and go back the way you came!"

Now I love my tecchie toys, but there really is no alternative to a sense of direction and a bit of common sense when travelling !

Regards
Andy

DerekW
25th February 2008, 06:27 PM
However we are not totally at the whim of the SatNav - we can report to the companies that produce the electronic maps used in the devices any errors, incorrect classification of roads, incorrect addresses - ie putting a street in the wrong village.

NavTeq is one the companies in this business and one can report errors online at

http://www.navteq.com/
use the map reporter function.

Downside is that it takes about two years for the updates to get into the SatNav devices - however reporting an error is an investment for the future.